It is the mission of the Mariners Inn Residential Treatment Program to provide compassionate and professional substance abuse treatment services to men in an effort to help restore their dignity, self-respect, and independence. We strive to help each man realize his own full potential through professional, compassionate, and holistic treatment services.
The Residential Treatment Program is the first step for most men entering Mariners Inn. We provide services to men who are at least 18 years of age and have substance use or co-occurring disorders (both mental health and substance use). Most of the men have a complex series of issues including developmental disabilities, physical disabilities, economic disparities, homelessness, legal issues, illiteracy, trauma, loss, and other social issues.
Treatment includes a combination of 12-step principles, cognitive behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, expressive arts, and evidence-based alternatives. Our multidisciplinary team provides evidence-based mental health and substance use interventions in an integrated fashion through individual & group therapy, case management, vocational assistance, GED, and literacy services. The program also provides education to the men through curriculum-based didactics and topics including parenting, healthy relationships, HIV/AIDS, current events, nature of addiction, anger management, conflict resolution, health and wellness, relapse prevention, recreation, step study, spirituality, recovery supports, and vocational readiness. All of this aims to promote the lifestyle changes needed to sustain long-term recovery
• ART THERAPY: Mariners Inn Art Therapy Program aims to use the creative arts as a mechanism for heling. Art Therapy helps to express hidden emotions; reduce stress, fear, and anxiety; and provides a sense of freedom. Our trained art therapist works with the men with a goal of helping them express themselves through their work and to talk with peers about their emotions and concerns.
• MUSIC PROGRAM: Mariners Inn music program was started by two volunteers, over 20 years ago! Today, we hold a weekly drum circle designed to reduce stress; build effective communication skills; and to assist consumers with developing a healthy identity centered around a recovery oriented lifestyle.
• POETRY PROGRAM: Titled the Poets of Mariners Inn, our poetry program is open to all consumers in the Residential Program. The poetry program provides multiple benefits much like the Drum Circle. The men host themed performances throughout the year designed to raise awareness of addiction and mental health issues in the community. A poetry book featuring original poems by consumers in the workshop can be purchased HERE
• 14 DAY STABILIZATION: This program is designed to help men who have relapsed and have entered treatment repeatedly. The stabilization staff will provide services for consumers admitted for Alumni in Distress and 14 day stabilization. This includes all recovery services: intake, recovery plans, physical health, and therapy.
• FINANCIAL LITERACY: We offer financial literacy workshops and offer individualized credit repair assistance led by a highly skilled and trained volunteer.
Our curriculum is designed to help consumers address recovery from a wellness based perspective.
The Eight Dimensions of Wellness are:
• Emotional: Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships
• Environmental: Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being
• Financial: Satisfaction with current and future financial situations
• Intellectual: Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills
• Occupational: Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work
• Physical: Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep
• Social: Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system
• Spiritual: Expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life
Individualized Treatment Planning (recovery planning)
Intensive Recovery Enhancement
Vocational Counseling (including Educational and Employability Assessments)
Mariners Inn’s Gambling Disorder Residential Treatment Program aims to reduce the problems of addiction to gambling and associated compulsive behavior by providing intensive residential substance abuse treatment to adult males for up to 30 days. Mariners Inn follows an intensive treatment model at the highest level that includes small group educational and therapy sessions; individual therapy with an assigned credentialed masters level substance abuse counselor who is qualified to provide gambling treatment services, and much more.
Voluntary and court mandated clients; each individual is encouraged to pursue treatment, establish a support system, and participate fully in the program.
Mariners Inn can also accommodate clients who do not speak English as their first language.
Contact Brittany Miles at firstname.lastname@example.org or 313-962-9446 x 233 for additional information.
The Mariners Inn Second Chance Program was developed in 2010 as a response to the needs of our clients. The Second Chance Program gives clients who relapse while in treatment a chance to continue in treatment, enter a more intensive phase of treatment aimed to meet the individual needs of relapse-prone clients, and provide them with the support they need to address the roots of their continued drug use. Clients are assisted with developing an individualized recovery enhancement and relapse prevention plan, are assigned more intensive groups including a peer support and art therapy group, and are assigned a Peer Coach to help them navigate the triggers that led to relapse.
Mariners Inn makes every attempt to streamline the process of admission for our consumers. Clients interested in services should dial the Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority’s 24-hour access line (800-241-4949). Clients who many need assistance with this process can visit our front service desk for assistance.